Looming state budget, federal tax plan cause uneasiness among local nonprofits
NORWICH — As she sought resources after suffering from trauma-related issues, Kimberly Miller became a member of Reliance Health in 2012. Since then, she has gone back to school and began working part-time.
“And if it wasn’t for Reliance Health, I would not be standing in front of you today,” she said to a panel of five state legislators on Tuesday.
Miller, and nearly 80 others, packed the Otis Library Community Room for two hours in an effort to convince state legislators to keep their missions in mind during the General Assembly’s session, which begins on Wednesday. Read more...
Nonprofit workers and clients take concerns to local legislators
Norwich — One day before the start of the 2018 legislative session, more than 70 nonprofit workers, advocates and service recipients gathered at the Otis Library for a discussion on the state of nonprofits in the Norwich region.
They laughed when Reliance Health CEO David Burnett guaranteed that one of his employees is not doing her work for the money. They laughed when Sen. Cathy Osten, D-Sprague, asked if it was safe to say that nonprofit wages have not kept up with the wages of other private-sector jobs. They laughed when Rep. Kevin Skulczyck, R-Griswold, said he didn't "want to beat up on my friends in Greenwich" and Osten replied, "I do." Read more...
Volunteers join in annual effort to count homeless people in region
NORWICH — Late Tuesday night, volunteers combed the region for the point-in-time homelessness count, an annual search that compiles data about the local homeless population. Thirty-one volunteers were on the schedule to lead search teams through 23 areas in southeastern Connecticut, ranging from Waterford to Norwich. Read more...
Summit focuses on health benefits of arts programming
Mashantucket — Since 2005, the Judy Dworin Performance Project has been using dance, song and storytelling to help incarcerated women at York Correctional Institution develop self-concept and communication.
Speaking on the state of prisons nationwide, Dworin said, "We see in prison identities that have been stripped away, and in the worst-case scenarios, they're living in environments that are sterile and punitive." Read more...
Creating a New Model of Mental Wellness
Next time you’re in a group, look around. One of every four people in the room will have a mental health issue at some point in their life. When you widen the circle to include those of us who love, work, or interact with people experiencing a mental health issue, it’s safe to say mental illness touches us all in one way or another. Read more...
- Looming state budget, federal tax plan cause uneasiness among local nonprofits
- Nonprofit workers and clients take concerns to local legislators
- Summit focuses on health benefits of arts programming
- Volunteers join in annual effort to count homeless people in region
- Norwich mental health nonprofit gets anonymous $100K donation
- Creating a New Model of Mental Wellness
- Reliance Health buys former Sears building at 2-6 Cliff St in Norwich (Norwich Bulletin)
- Reliance Health purchases former Sears building in Downtown Norwich (The Day)
- More than 40 volunteers helped with Point in Time Count this year
- Norwich Winterfest 5K brings community together
- Reliance Health Receives 2016 Backus President’s Award
- Reliance House evolves to become Reliance Health
- 'Range of services' to help panhandlers
- National oral history project coming to Otis Library
- Sailing club teaches self-confidence, teamwork, fun
- Emergency Food and Shelter Program announces grants
- State officials say Connecticut on target to end chronic homelessness this year
- Reliance House program helps pick up trash, debris in Norwich
- Judicial layoffs loom and some concerned about impact
- Down to business: Reliance Health
- Annual count shows region's homelessness in decline
- Wethersfield runner makes it 3 in a row for Norwich Winterfest 5K
- Top Mid-Size Employer: At Reliance House, Social Assistance Extends To One Another
- Reliance House CEO is champion cyclist
- Reliance House group hopes to help beautify city through art
- Reliance House brings mindfulness to veterans
- Former Bacon runner wins Norwich Winterfest 5K
- Norwich Winterfest 5K back after successful debut
- Helping All Employees Succeed And Grow – Reliance House
- Norwich man, 70, pedals his way to cycling gold
- Reliance House sailing partnership builds teamwork
- Reliance House sailors get sea legs on Thames River, dock in Norwich
- A ‘crusty’ cop now champion of the mentally ill
- Leadership Program Partners with Restaurants to Give Back
- With help, once homeless friends become roommates
- 5K race joins Norwich Winter Festival events
- He Followed His Heart And Evolved
- Veterans now have a home, and hope
- Norwich Gallery to Feature Eastern Professors Photos of India
- Norwich Chamber Donates to Nonprofits
- Meet a Veteran: Michael Minzy, of Norwich
- Reliance House shelter dedicated to deceased employee
- Shelter Named for Case Worker
- First Fridays kick off the New Year downtown